Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Robinson Cano fires Scott Boras, Yankees second baseman signs with Jay-Z’s new Roc Nation Sports

opening-day-yankees-red-sox Robinson Cano Robinson Cano, who figures to be the premiere free agent in this year’s class, drops agent Scott Boras for Jay-Z’s Roc Nation Sports agency, a parter of super agency CAA. Robinson Cano stunned the baseball world Tuesday, firing agent Scott Boras — and hiring Jay-Z's new sports agency — only months ahead of becoming one of the most sought-after free agents in the entire sport. Cano hired Roc Nation Sports, a new sports management company founded by Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter, to represent him. CAA Sports, which represents several high-profile players including Ryan Braun, Roy Halladay, and Buster Posey, has partnered with Roc Nation Sports in the new business venture. "At this point in my career, I am ready to take a more active role in my endeavors both on and off the field," Cano said in a statement released by the agency. "I am confident that the pairing of Roc Nation Sports and CAA Sports will be essential in helping me accomplish my short- and long-term goals. I am making this important decision now so I can keep my focus on helping the Yankees succeed in 2013, while minimizing any distractions for me and my teammates." According to a source, Cano had been looking for new representation, apparently unhappy with Boras. Cano hired Boras in February 2011 after previously being repped by Bobby Barad. Cano deflected all questions about his contract early in spring training, saying at the time that he would leave all business-related issues to Boras. "I'm not thinking about anything," Cano said. "Those kind of things, I'll just let my agent, Scott, handle it. I'll just have fun in the clubhouse and get ready to help the team win another championship." Cano has known Jay-Z for a while, so he was intrigued when he learned of the new sports management agency. He made the decision to fire Boras and sign on with Roc Nation Sports over the weekend. Boras told the Daily News on Tuesday afternoon that Cano had not yet informed him of the change. "I have not spoken to Robinson," Boras said. "I hope to hear from him soon."

No comments:

Post a Comment